Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I Love Babywearing!

So, in case you don't know what babywearing is, it is carrying your child in a fabric sling or pouch. Most people think this is an amazing new "thing". It is not. Jon and I have a good laugh everytime someone praises our carrier and says how they "wish there were carriers like that when I had kids". Well. ... ... ... This way of traveling with a child is in not new. We snicker because people have used baby slings and pouches for thousands of years. The invention of the stroller is new. Babywearing is not. In fact, I read somewhere that the stroller was invented in England or somewhere because of advice from child-development "professionals". These people cautioned against holding your child too much as it was thought to "spoil" them. Holding a baby when you are traveling from one place to another, such as a market or park, was thought to encourage too much physical contact. Of course, physical contact causes people to grow to be over-dependent, just as masturbation causes blindness/retardation. And male children that cry end up being sissies or homosexuals. *eye roll* In fact, lack of physical contact causes over-dependence. When masturbation is punished, sexual problems can ensue (most often psychologically). And when a male is discouraged from crying, he is likely to suppress emotion and "harden", which can cause relationship problems.
 Anyway, holding your child near you is wonderful. Babies and young children crave physical contact from their parents. Lots of love, affection, and physical contact is proven to greatly improve a child's emotional development. Physical development is also improved. Despite what some people may say, holding a child "all the time" will not delay walking. Babies and kids are healthiest, both physically and mentally, when all of their needs are being met. One very important need is that of physical touch.


Here is a ring-sling I made. I have a sewing machine, so making these carriers is very simple. I bought special sling rings and a few yards of different colored fabrics.This is the latest carrier I have made. Skye loves sitting on my hip in this one.

This shows how it is just a simple pouch. Well, I'm not sure how well this shows the structure.

This is a carrier my friend gave me. It's simply a long piece of flannel that I tie around my body. This is the most comfortable carrier. For me, at least.

This shows that it is just a long piece of cloth. The trick is wrapping it correctly.


 This is the Mei Tai. I made this a while ago. I made it small, so Skye is growing out of it. I picked up some more fabric with some of Skye's birthday money and I"m going to make her a toddler-sized one soon.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A friend of mine is pregnant with a little boy. I made this Mei Tai for her. It's a larger size, so it can be used for both small infants and larger toddlers.

1 comment:

  1. I love the carriers you have made ~ You are such a talented seamstress!

    I remember with each baby that I carried around, the "wow, that is so neat" and the "how I wish I had one of those back when . . " comments. Funny, how things never change!

    ReplyDelete