Sunday, October 24, 2010

Cloth diaper care :)

I wash my diapers every couple of days. Any longer then that and the pail may start to smell. The pail is also too small to hold more then a few days worth of diapers.
I have a special way of cleaning diapers. I do a baking soda soak, a detergent wash (phosphate free, dye free, fragrance free), a wash with 1/4 cup vinegar, and one extra rinse at the end. I got this method from a friend. I did think that it was A LOT of washing, but when I cut out the baking soda and vinegar, Skye started getting red-butt, just as she was getting with disposables. Granted, I would much rather she had a red-butt from cloth diapers then the terrible chemicals in disposables. I do love not having to deal with red-butt at all, though. So I started using the baking soda and vinegar again. They do seem much cleaner with these ingredients added to the wash water.


Here's what I do:
Every two days I throw the diapers in the washer.
I put 1/4 cup baking soda in and let it sit overnight. If you can't do this overnight, a soak of 1-2 hours is good.
I rinse this.
Then I do a wash with a few tablespoons of detergent (never use too much. It can build on the diapers and cause repelling)
Next I do a nice wash in 1/4 cup vinegar.
Then I do one extra rinse.
Yay! Clean diapers!
Now, either hang to dry outside or dry in the dryer. :)

NEVER EVER use:
Bleach
Fabric softener (this will cause repelling)

One thing to always remember is that if diaper rash cream comes in contact with your diaper, it will also cause repelling of urine. If you use a diaper rash cream, be sure to use a barrier. They sell little paper (sort of like toilet paper) pieces to lay in your babies diaper to catch poo, so that they poo can just be lifted with the paper and placed in the toilet. You can also use these as a barrier for diaper rash cream. I just use a cloth wipe. I lay it down between Skye's butt and her diaper. This works just as well.

Even filthy diapers like this green teething diarrhea come out nice and freshly clean.

Ya. I just had to add this picture. hehe

Look! Working on cutting out diapers to sew.

 And I'm working on a Mei Tai Carrier too!

No comments:

Post a Comment