Friday, June 17, 2011

Vinegar

I use baking soda and vinegar to clean and disinfect pretty much everything in my house. Natural. Safe around humans and pets. No horrible smells (the vinegar smell disappears as soon as it dries). I believe with all my heart that vinegar and baking soda are excellent cleaning agents and work wonders. Well, I was having my doubts. Since we moved into our house in September, the master bedroom toilet has had this ugly yellow stain in it. It looked pretty gross. I always clean my toilet with vinegar. I pour some in and use a toilet brush to scrub it. Then I flush. I wasn't able to get the yellow stain off so I used a rag and got my hand in there and scrubbed. Then I used one of those scratcher things and that still wasn't really working. It sort of worked, but it was killing my back and hands to scrub that hard. So I gave up. Well, today I was cleaning the toilet like I normally do and thought "I'm tired of this nasty yellow gunk. I want a nice looking toilet" and thought I would go get some poison toilet cleaner to make it pretty. I forgot to flush the toilet. I forgot about the poison cleaner and took Skye out to play while I hung some wet laundry on the line. An hour later I entered the bathroom to use it and saw that I hadn't flushed, so I went ahead and flushed. THE YELLOW STAIN WAS GONE! So I was just flushing too soon all that time. And vinegar really does have magical cleaning powers.

 I don't have a before picture, but this is the after picture. Nice clean toilet. All vinegar, baby.

1 comment: