Wednesday, June 15, 2011

DREADLOCKS!!!!!!!

So, I finally got some courage and now I have the dreadlocks I have been wanting for many years. I remember wanting them way back when I was in high school. Jon just used the twist and rip method. This method requires that you twist a lock of hair and periodically separate it into two chunks and and "rip" it toward the scalp causing hair to bunch up near the scalp. You do this until there are knots all the way to the ends (or close to the ends) of the lock of hair. My hair started out looking like it had messy braids. Now that it's had a few days of wear, it's looking scraggly. It's starting to come loose a bit and there are many stray hairs floating about. But, I have read enough about natural dreads to know that this is normal. It will be a few years before my dreads start looking "good" and I'm prepared to wait. I have been using a natural hair wash for a few months and this wash helps to keep gunky build up from forming in my hair. Store bought shampoos and conditioners have a lot of harmful chemicals in them as well as useless fillers that build up in your hair. Shampoos also strip your scalp of its natural oils, causing your scalp to overproduce oil. This is why people who use these shampoos have to wash their hair every day if they don't want oily hair. In addition, since these shampoos strip your hair of all oils, conditioner is often needed to immediately replenish your dry scalp by adding artificial softener (something your own oils do quite well).

My natural hair wash routine:

A wash made of a tablespoon of baking soda mixed with a full glass of water.
I then use a mixture of 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar mixed with a full glass of water and a few drop of essential oil. I have been using vanilla but recently switched to sweet orange oil.



The above pictures are the day Jon finished my dreads.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Above is a picture of day 4.




 Day 4: My hair is forming loops and bumps. All part of the natural dreading process. The hair is tightening and pushing up.



 My hair is not really dreaded up near the scalp. I think that comes much later.

 Baby dreads!



No comments:

Post a Comment