Thursday, April 4, 2013

The type of cloth diapers I use

A few people have asked me what kind of cloth diapers I use and how they work. Here is a little about the cloth diapers I find to be the best. I think this may also be one of the cheapest way to diaper.





 Below is a diaper called a pocket diaper. It is a water proof shell with suede cloth inside. There is a pocket on the top for inserting some sort of absorbent material. The pee goes through the suede cloth and is absorbed by the cloth on the inside. With the absorbent part not touching the skin, baby's skin stays nice and dry. I like these diapers because they keep Quinn nice and dry. They are a bit more expensive though. They typically run around $15 or more, depending on brand name and where you purchase them. I bought this one for about 4 dollars per diaper because I joined a co-op on facebook. Here is the diaper fully assembled.

 This is the pocket diaper next to its insert.
 Below is how the insert is put into the diaper.
 Below is my favorite way to cloth diaper. It is just a water proof cover and a large piece of cloth. I will show you how to put it together. Here is the assembled diaper.
 This is the cloth I use to absorb the pee and hold the poop. It is just a huge flower sack towel. You can get these from target or walmart for 1 dollar per piece of cloth. They typically come in packs of 3 or 4. I use about 5 packs in my cycle. I wash every 2-3 days. You can see how big it is compared to my cell phone in the corner.
 You fold the cloth in half once. Then fold it in half again.
 Then you tri-fold it. Fold one half to the middle as shown below.
 Then fold it again until you have a long thin piece of cloth. Lots of good layers for absorbing peepee.
 Here is the shell. I love this color!
 Here is the shell next to the cloth.
 And here is the cloth placed inside the shell. Put on baby. You are done! Diaper covers are usually around 10-15 dollars a piece. I recommend having 10 or more in your rotation. As long as you care for them correctly, they will last through the whole time you diaper your baby and they will also last through one or two MORE of your babies!
 I also use cloth wipes. They are super easy to make. I made most of mine. I also use old baby wash clothes as wipes. I just use water to clean up the bum. I either soak the wipes I will use in water really quick or I have a spray bottle handy next to the place where I change baby.

2 comments:

  1. I think I like it. I'm going to have to try flats with our next. I bet they're easier to wash too! Are they? It seems like they might not be as prone to accumulating soap build up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are easier to dry! I was having to do two dry cycles when I was using prefolds. :) And they accumulate the "sink" much less often.

    ReplyDelete